Best 23 Sam Elliott Movie Quotes
Sam Elliott is a legendary actor known for his deep, gravelly voice and iconic mustache. With a career spanning over five decades, he has portrayed a wide range of characters, from cowboys to military veterans. His performances are often accompanied by memorable quotes that have resonated with audiences. In this article, we will explore the best 23 Sam Elliott movie quotes that have left a lasting impact on fans.
1. “Sometimes, you have to lose yourself before you can find anything.” – The Hero (2017)
In “The Hero,” Elliott plays an aging Western film star facing mortality. This quote reflects the character’s journey of self-discovery and the importance of embracing vulnerability.
2. “Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.” – Road House (1989)
In this cult classic, Elliott portrays a wise and experienced bouncer. This quote encapsulates the film’s theme of confronting and accepting one’s fate.
3. “I still believe a man is as good as his word.” – The Big Lebowski (1998)
Elliott’s character, The Stranger, delivers this line in the Coen brothers’ cult film. It highlights the value he places on honesty and integrity.
4. “I’m a dying breed.” – The Quick and the Dead (1995)
Playing a gunfighter in this Western, Elliott’s character reflects on the changing times and the loss of traditional values.
5. “You’re nothing without your word.” – We Were Soldiers (2002)
As the grizzled Sergeant Major Basil Plumley, Elliott’s character emphasizes the importance of keeping one’s promises in the midst of war.
6. “I got a lot of miles left on these boots.” – Tombstone (1993)
Elliott’s portrayal of Virgil Earp in this Western showcases his resilience and determination, as depicted in this memorable line.
7. “I ain’t got a big family. Just my brother. But he’s enough.” – The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (2018)
In this thought-provoking film, Elliott’s character reflects on the significance of family and the bonds that hold us together.
8. “You gotta be who you are in this world, no matter what.” – The Hero (2017)
Once again, Elliott’s character in “The Hero” imparts wisdom about embracing one’s true self, regardless of external pressures.
9. “Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.” – The Big Lebowski (1998)
Delivered by The Stranger in “The Big Lebowski,” this quote humorously captures life’s unpredictable nature and the need to accept both victories and defeats.
10. “It’s not dying that scares me, it’s not living.” – The Hero (2017)
In this poignant line, Elliott’s character reflects on the fear of a life unfulfilled, emphasizing the importance of seizing the moment.
11. “I have the only organ in the world that’s named after a musical instrument.” – The Contender (2000)
Playing the role of the Vice President in this political drama, Elliott’s character delivers this humorous line, referencing his character’s last name, Shelly.
12. “Heroes are ordinary men who do extraordinary things in extraordinary times.” – We Were Soldiers (2002)
As Sergeant Major Plumley, Elliott’s character highlights the notion that anyone can rise to the occasion and become a hero.
13. “When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can’t do that, you’re like some kind of animal.” – The Quick and the Dead (1995)
Elliott’s character, as a loyal friend and ally, emphasizes the importance of loyalty and standing by those we believe in.
14. “I’m like a bad penny. I always turn up.” – Road House (1989)
In this action-packed film, Elliott’s character, Wade Garrett, humorously describes his tendency to reappear no matter the circumstances.
15. “There’s nothin’ like a nice piece of hickory.” – The Big Lebowski (1998)
In a lighter moment in “The Big Lebowski,” Elliott’s character expresses his appreciation for a sturdy wooden bowling ball.
16. “I’m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.” – Mask (1985)
Elliott plays the compassionate biker, Gar, in this heartwarming film. This line pays homage to the iconic Bon Jovi song while capturing Gar’s free-spirited nature.
17. “Sometimes you gotta go back, to actually move forward.” – The Hero (2017)
This quote from “The Hero” reflects the character’s journey of self-reflection and the need to confront the past in order to grow.
18. “The only person who can beat me is me.” – Grand Champion (2002)
Elliott’s character, a veteran horse trainer, delivers this line, emphasizing the importance of self-improvement and overcoming personal obstacles.
19. “I may have killed a man.” – The Big Lebowski (1998)
In this mysterious role, The Stranger’s enigmatic comment adds intrigue to the film’s plot.
20. “You will never know how much you can accomplish until you try. Never stop trying. Your miracle will come.” – The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (2018)
In this inspiring film, Elliott’s character imparts words of encouragement and resilience, reminding us to never give up on our dreams.
21. “I don’t care what happens to me. I’m gonna kill them all.” – Gettysburg (1993)
Playing the role of General John Buford in this historical drama, Elliott’s character reveals his unwavering determination in the face of adversity.
22. “There’s more to life than a little money, you know.” – The Big Lebowski (1998)
Another memorable line from The Stranger in “The Big Lebowski” reminds us of the importance of prioritizing relationships and experiences over material wealth.
23. “Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t.” – A Star Is Born (2018)
In this critically acclaimed film, Elliott’s character, Bobby, reflects on life’s uncertainties and the unpredictable nature of success.
Q: What is Sam Elliott’s most famous movie quote?
A: One of Sam Elliott’s most famous movie quotes is from “The Big Lebowski” (1998): “Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.”
Q: Does Sam Elliott have a signature catchphrase?
A: While Sam Elliott doesn’t have a specific catchphrase, his signature deep, gravelly voice and iconic mustache have become synonymous with the characters he portrays.
Q: Which Sam Elliott movie is his most critically acclaimed?
A: “A Star Is Born” (2018) is considered one of Sam Elliott’s most critically acclaimed films, earning him praise for his performance and garnering several award nominations.
Q: How many films has Sam Elliott appeared in?
A: Sam Elliott has appeared in over 100 films throughout his career, showcasing his versatility as an actor.
Q: Does Sam Elliott have a favorite movie quote?
A: Sam Elliott has not publicly disclosed a favorite movie quote. However, he has expressed admiration for the line, “Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you can find anything,” from “The Hero” (2017).
In conclusion, Sam Elliott’s impressive filmography is filled with memorable quotes that have resonated with audiences over the years. From Westerns to dramas, his characters have imparted wisdom, humor, and inspiration. Whether reflecting on life’s uncertainties or emphasizing the importance of staying true to oneself, Elliott’s quotes continue to leave a lasting impact on fans.