Best 23 Quotes From What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is a heartwarming and thought-provoking film that explores the complexities of family dynamics, love, and personal growth. Directed by Lasse Hallström, this 1993 drama features an incredible ensemble cast, including Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Juliette Lewis. The movie is filled with memorable quotes that resonate with audiences long after the credits roll. In this article, we present the best 23 quotes from What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.
1. “I’m not a little boy anymore. I’m not a little boy.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert Grape, the film’s protagonist, opens the story with this quote, expressing his desire to break free from the expectations and responsibilities that burden him.
2. “Hey, kids. You’re gonna have to keep the noise down, alright? I’m expecting a call from the governor.” – Gilbert Grape
In this humorous line, Gilbert tries to keep his younger siblings in line while sarcastically hinting at the importance of the upcoming telephone call.
3. “Well, I’m a better person when I’m with you, Gilbert.” – Becky
Becky, a free-spirited young woman played by Juliette Lewis, utters this line, highlighting the positive impact Gilbert has on her life.
4. “You don’t know anything about her! You don’t know what she can do! You don’t have a clue!” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert passionately defends his love interest, Becky, in this quote, emphasizing that others should not judge her based on appearances.
5. “This is life, right here. This is everyday life.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert reflects on the mundanity of his life in this quote, recognizing the beauty and significance of the ordinary moments.
6. “He’s not as smart as you, but he’s smarter than most.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert describes his younger brother, Arnie, who has an intellectual disability, in this tender quote, highlighting his unique abilities.
7. “You know, Gilbert, there’s nothing wrong with you. There’s nothing wrong with you that can’t be cured with a little Prozac and a polo mallet.” – Mrs. Carver
Mrs. Carver, a flirtatious married woman, delivers this humorous line to Gilbert, suggesting that he needs a little pick-me-up.
8. “I want to be a good person.” – Gilbert Grape
In this simple yet profound quote, Gilbert expresses his desire to grow and evolve into a better version of himself.
9. “I’m not going anywhere, Gilbert. I’m right here.” – Arnie Grape
Arnie, Gilbert’s younger brother, reassures him with this quote, highlighting the unwavering loyalty and unconditional love between them.
10. “I don’t know what I want. I always feel like there’s something more.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert’s introspective line encapsulates his yearning for something beyond the confines of his small town and routine life.
11. “All the beautiful things in this world are lies. They count for nothing in the end.” – Arnie Grape
Arnie, who often struggles to comprehend the world around him, shares this profound perspective on beauty and its transient nature.
12. “I’ve done my bit for society.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert humorously responds with this line when Becky asks him about his ambitions and contributions to society.
13. “You’re my knight in shimmering armor. Did you know that?” – Arnie Grape
Arnie, speaking to Gilbert, showcases his childlike innocence and adoration for his older brother with this heartwarming quote.
14. “You’re afraid to be alive, Gilbert. You’re afraid to live.” – Betty Carver
Mrs. Carver, attempting to provoke Gilbert, confronts him with this blunt observation about his fear of embracing life’s challenges.
15. “I’m not a leader, alright? I’m a middleman. I’m a middleman!” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert, frustrated by the weight of his responsibilities, declares this line, revealing his reluctance to take charge and lead.
16. “You’re my knight in potato armor.” – Arnie Grape
Arnie playfully alters his earlier quote, expressing his love and admiration for Gilbert in a lighthearted manner.
17. “I wanted to be a good person. I wanted to be a good brother.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert’s desire to be a better person and fulfill his responsibilities as a brother is evident in this heartfelt quote.
18. “She’s going to see me. She’s going to see me. She’s going to see me!” – Arnie Grape
Arnie expresses his excitement about Becky seeing him in a parade, highlighting his yearning for connection and recognition.
19. “I mean, I take care of my family. I’m a good brother.” – Gilbert Grape
Gilbert, defending his role as the caretaker of his family, asserts his commitment to their well-being in this quote.
20. “Don’t you ever just want to bury your head in it?” – Becky
In a moment of vulnerability, Becky asks Gilbert this question, referencing the frustration and desire to escape from their circumstances.
21. “You’re not going anywhere. You’re staying here with me.” – Arnie Grape
Arnie fiercely declares this line to Gilbert, emphasizing his fear of abandonment and the need for his brother’s presence.
22. “I know what’s eating Gilbert Grape…” – Becky
Becky, in a moment of understanding, utters this iconic line, acknowledging the internal struggles Gilbert faces as he navigates his life.
23. “Endora is where we live. It’s our home.” – Gilbert Grape
In the final scene, Gilbert shares this sentiment, recognizing the importance of his hometown and finding contentment within its borders.
Q: Is What’s Eating Gilbert Grape based on a true story?
A: No, the movie is not based on a true story. It is an adaptation of Peter Hedges’ novel of the same name.
Q: How did Leonardo DiCaprio prepare for his role as Arnie Grape?
A: DiCaprio spent time with individuals who had intellectual disabilities to understand their behavior and mannerisms better. His dedication earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Q: What is the significance of the film’s title?
A: The title metaphorically refers to the weight of the responsibilities and expectations that Gilbert Grape carries, ultimately consuming him emotionally.
Q: How does the film address themes of family and love?
A: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape delves into the complexities of family dynamics, highlighting the unconditional love shared between siblings and the sacrifices made for one another.
Q: Why is What’s Eating Gilbert Grape considered a classic?
A: The film’s timeless themes, exceptional performances, and heartfelt storytelling have solidified its status as a classic in the realm of coming-of-age dramas.
In conclusion, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is a film that resonates with audiences through its memorable quotes and powerful storytelling. The quotes compiled in this article capture the essence of the film, conveying the characters’ desires, fears, and profound moments of connection. Whether you are a fan of the movie or exploring it for the first time, these quotes serve as a reminder of the film’s enduring impact on viewers’ hearts and minds.