Best 23 Quotes From Gathering Blue
Lois Lowry’s dystopian novel, “Gathering Blue,” takes readers on a gripping journey through a world filled with mystery, intrigue, and the resilience of the human spirit. The story follows Kira, a young girl with a unique talent for weaving, as she navigates the harsh realities of her society. Throughout the book, there are numerous thought-provoking quotes that encapsulate the themes of hope, strength, and the power of self-discovery. Here are 23 of the best quotes from “Gathering Blue.”
1. “In a world where everything was taken, everything was stolen, everything was destroyed, she had only one thing that was her own, and it was her art.” – Kira
Kira’s art is her refuge, allowing her to express herself and find solace in a world that often feels oppressive and bleak.
2. “One person can make a difference.” – Kira’s mother
This quote serves as a reminder that even in the face of adversity, one individual has the power to incite change and create a better future.
3. “Her mother had never let her down before. Now she felt as though her mother had pushed her off a cliff.” – Kira
Kira’s trust in her mother is shattered, leaving her feeling abandoned and betrayed.
4. “She had stared death in the face and she had not flinched.” – Kira
Kira’s resilience and determination shine through as she faces life-threatening challenges with unwavering strength.
5. “In the deep night, she could feel the pain of the world, the suffering of others.” – Kira
Kira’s empathetic nature allows her to connect with the pain and suffering of those around her, driving her to fight for justice and equality.
6. “The future was uncertain, absolutely, and there were many hurdles, twists, and turns to come, but as long as she kept moving forward, one foot in front of the other, the voices of fear and shame, the messages from those who wanted her to believe that she wasn’t good enough, would be stilled.” – Kira
This quote emphasizes the importance of perseverance and self-belief in the face of adversity.
7. “Sometimes the bravest thing you can do is to keep going when you really want to give up.” – Kira’s father
Kira’s father offers words of wisdom, reminding her that true strength lies in persisting even when the odds seem insurmountable.
8. “The man who had taught her to weave, who had given her the precious thread, had also taught her to make choices. And now she had made one.” – Kira
Kira’s mentor plays a pivotal role in her growth, teaching her the power of choice and the importance of taking control of her own destiny.
9. “It is what it is.” – Thomas
Thomas’s simple yet profound statement reflects his acceptance of the harsh realities of their world while also hinting at the need for change.
10. “There is power in art, and there is power in the truths that art reveals.” – Kira
Kira recognizes the transformative power of art and its ability to shed light on the truths often hidden from society.
11. “We all have our weaknesses and our strengths. You are strong in ways I am not.” – Kira to Thomas
Kira acknowledges that each individual possesses unique strengths and weaknesses, highlighting the importance of collaboration and mutual support.
12. “But perhaps I can make something beautiful.” – Kira
Even in the face of adversity, Kira remains hopeful and determined to create beauty out of the chaos.
13. “The future is never certain. But if we work together, we can shape it.” – Kira
Kira’s belief in the power of collective action underscores the importance of unity and collaboration in shaping a better future.
14. “The thing with feathers. That perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all.” – Kira
This quote alludes to the resilience of the human spirit, which can find solace and hope even in the darkest of times.
15. “Sometimes you don’t have to mean to hurt someone to hurt someone.” – Kira
Kira’s realization highlights the unintentional consequences of our actions and the importance of empathy.
16. “Life will go on. The world will change. And we will be left behind, unless we change with it.” – Kira
This quote emphasizes the need for adaptability and growth in order to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
17. “Stories are like the wind. They go around and around. They don’t ever end.” – Kira
Kira recognizes the enduring power of stories and their ability to transcend time, connecting people across generations.
18. “Maybe he had seen the world in a way that was different from others. Maybe that was a gift.” – Kira
This quote suggests that seeing the world differently can be a gift, enabling one to bring about change and challenge the status quo.
19. “She finally understood that sometimes the most difficult part of the journey was believing you could.” – Kira
Kira’s journey of self-discovery teaches her the importance of self-belief and the ability to overcome self-doubt.
20. “The world was made up of people putting one foot in front of the other; and a life might appear ordinary simply because the person living it had been doing so for a long time.” – Kira
This quote highlights the significance of perseverance and the potential for extraordinary growth within seemingly ordinary lives.
21. “It was not a burden to be strong. It was their strength that had kept them alive.” – Kira
Strength becomes an integral part of survival in Kira’s world, challenging the perception that vulnerability is a weakness.
22. “We don’t have to be afraid of each other. We don’t have to be alone.” – Kira
This quote emphasizes the importance of connection and community in overcoming fear and isolation.
23. “She had found her voice.” – Kira
Kira’s journey of self-discovery and resilience culminates in finding her voice, symbolizing her newfound strength and empowerment.
FAQs about “Gathering Blue”
Q: What is the main theme of “Gathering Blue”?
A: The main themes in “Gathering Blue” include the power of art, resilience, self-discovery, and the importance of collective action.
Q: Is “Gathering Blue” a sequel to “The Giver”?
A: While “Gathering Blue” is set in the same dystopian world as “The Giver,” it is not a direct sequel. However, both books explore similar themes and societal issues.
Q: What age group is “Gathering Blue” suitable for?
A: “Gathering Blue” is generally recommended for readers aged 12 and above due to its complex themes and mature content.
Q: Are there other books in the series?
A: Yes, “Gathering Blue” is the second book in Lois Lowry’s “The Giver Quartet,” which also includes “The Giver,” “Messenger,” and “Son.”
Q: Can “Gathering Blue” be read as a standalone book?
A: While “Gathering Blue” can be enjoyed as a standalone novel, reading “The Giver” beforehand provides a deeper understanding of the world and context in which the story takes place.
In conclusion, “Gathering Blue” captivates readers with its inspiring quotes that encapsulate the themes of resilience, self-discovery, and the power of collective action. Lois Lowry’s masterful storytelling invites us to reflect on our own strengths and the potential for change within ourselves and society.