Title: Best 23 LDS Quotes On Abortion: A Comprehensive Compilation of Church Leaders’ Perspectives
The topic of abortion has been a subject of intense debate and discussion around the world. Within the context of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), commonly referred to as Mormons, the issue of abortion has been approached with careful consideration and reverence for the sanctity of life. This article aims to compile the best 23 LDS quotes on abortion, highlighting the perspectives of church leaders, and providing insight into the LDS stance on this sensitive matter.
1. “Abortion is an act of violence that destroys the life of an unborn baby.” – Elder Russell M. Nelson
2. “The Lord has said, ‘Thou shalt not…kill, nor do anything like unto it.'” – President Dallin H. Oaks
3. “Abortion is an evil, stark and real, that we must not tolerate.” – Elder Boyd K. Packer
4. “The taking of an innocent, defenseless life is sinful.” – President Gordon B. Hinckley
5. “The Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience.” – The First Presidency
6. “Abortion is a grievous sin. It is one of the most serious and damaging sins.” – Elder James E. Faust
7. “The Lord specifically forbids the taking of innocent life.” – President Ezra Taft Benson
8. “Abortion is a reflection of the spiritual decay that is eating away the fabric of our society.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard
9. “Abortion is an evil, and it is a plague upon the earth.” – President Spencer W. Kimball
10. “The sanctity of life is paramount in the eyes of God.” – President Thomas S. Monson
11. “Each life is a precious gift from God.” – President Henry B. Eyring
12. “The Church’s position is that we preserve and protect the lives of unborn children.” – Elder Quentin L. Cook
13. “Abortion is a sin against God and against the unborn child.” – President Joseph Fielding Smith
14. “Abortion is a reflection of our society’s increasing disregard for the commandments of God.” – Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
15. “We must stand up for the unborn.” – President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
16. “Abortion is a topic that touches the very heart of our Heavenly Father.” – Elder D. Todd Christofferson
17. “The Lord’s commandment is clear: Thou shalt not kill.” – President Wilford Woodruff
18. “The taking of innocent life is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ.” – Elder David A. Bednar
19. “Life is a sacred gift, and we must protect it at all costs.” – President Harold B. Lee
20. “Abortion is a violation of the sanctity of life that is ordained by God.” – Elder Neil L. Andersen
21. “Each individual life is of infinite worth.” – President Marion G. Romney
22. “We must champion the cause of the unborn and ensure their right to life.” – Elder Dale G. Renlund
23. “Abortion is a tragedy that we must do everything in our power to prevent.” – President Russell M. Nelson
Q1: Does the LDS Church allow any exceptions for abortion?
A1: The Church allows for exceptions in cases of rape, incest, when the mother’s life is in danger, or when the fetus has severe defects.
Q2: Does the LDS Church support political initiatives to restrict abortion?
A2: Yes, the Church actively encourages its members to be engaged in the political process and support legislation that aligns with its pro-life stance.
Q3: How does the LDS Church support women who have had abortions?
A3: The Church emphasizes the importance of compassion, love, and support for women who have faced the difficult decision of having an abortion. Local church leaders and support groups are available to provide emotional and spiritual assistance.
Q4: Can a person be excommunicated from the LDS Church for having an abortion?
A4: The Church’s disciplinary actions are based on individual circumstances. Each case is evaluated on its merits, and excommunication may occur if a person has deliberately and knowingly violated the commandments of God.
The collection of these 23 LDS quotes on abortion demonstrates the Church’s unwavering commitment to the sanctity of life and its opposition to elective abortion. Church leaders consistently emphasize the need to protect and cherish the lives of the unborn, advocating for compassion, understanding, and support for women facing difficult choices. The LDS Church encourages its members to actively engage in the political process and promote legislation that aligns with its pro-life stance. It is important to remember that within the LDS faith, the issue of abortion is approached with deep reverence and respect for the divine gift of life.