Best 23 Howard W Hunter Quotes
Howard W. Hunter, the 14th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was known for his wisdom, humility, and dedication to serving others. His teachings continue to inspire and uplift individuals from all walks of life. In this article, we will explore 23 of the best quotes by Howard W. Hunter that offer guidance, encouragement, and insight into living a fulfilling life.
1. “The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home.”
This quote reminds us of the significance of our roles as parents and the impact we have on our families. It emphasizes the importance of creating a loving and nurturing environment at home.
2. “We do not need to be afraid if we are spiritually prepared.”
Hunter’s quote serves as a reminder that by investing time and effort into our spiritual well-being, we can find peace and strength in times of difficulty and uncertainty.
3. “Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the foundation upon which sincere and meaningful repentance must be built.”
Here, Hunter highlights the importance of faith in Jesus Christ as a catalyst for change and personal growth. It is through this faith that we can find the motivation and strength to repent and become better individuals.
4. “True happiness comes only by making others happy.”
This quote encourages us to focus on serving others and finding joy in their happiness. By shifting our focus away from ourselves and towards the needs and well-being of those around us, we can experience genuine happiness.
5. “Love is the greatest power and will bring the greatest joy.”
Hunter reminds us of the power of love and its ability to bring us true happiness. Love has the potential to heal wounds, build bridges, and create lasting connections.
6. “The choices we make determine our destiny.”
This quote emphasizes the significance of our choices in shaping our lives. It encourages us to make wise and virtuous decisions that align with our values and aspirations.
7. “There is no more important commitment in time or in eternity than marriage.”
Hunter highlights the sacredness and importance of marriage. He encourages couples to prioritize their relationships and invest in nurturing a strong and loving bond.
8. “Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. It is the power to wait for the right time and the right reasons.”
This quote reminds us that patience is not about being idle but rather about having the strength to wait for the appropriate moment to act. It encourages us to trust in the timing of things and to have faith in the process.
9. “In the gospel of Jesus Christ, you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that.”
Hunter reminds us that we are not alone in our journey through life. With the support and guidance of God and our loved ones on the other side of the veil, we can find comfort and strength in times of need.
10. “Your future is as bright as your faith.”
This quote serves as a reminder that our faith and belief in ourselves and in a higher power play a crucial role in shaping our future. It encourages us to hold onto hope and trust in the goodness that lies ahead.
11. “Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.”
Hunter highlights the importance of service and reminds us that it is our responsibility to give back to our communities and make a positive impact in the lives of others.
12. “To serve the Lord is to serve His children.”
This quote emphasizes the interconnectedness of our service to God and our service to others. By serving and uplifting those around us, we are ultimately serving and honoring our Creator.
13. “The Lord is in the detail of our lives.”
Hunter reminds us that God is aware of the intricate details of our lives and is involved in even the smallest aspects. This knowledge can bring us comfort and reassurance in times of uncertainty.
14. “The adversary is subtle, cunning, and crafty.”
This quote serves as a reminder to be vigilant and aware of the subtle temptations and distractions that the adversary presents. It encourages us to rely on our spiritual armor to protect ourselves from his influence.
15. “You have not failed until you quit trying.”
Hunter’s quote reminds us that failure is not defined by our mistakes but by our decision to give up. It encourages us to persist in our efforts, learn from our setbacks, and continue striving for improvement.
16. “When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives.”
This quote emphasizes the importance of prioritizing our relationship with God. By aligning our lives with His will and placing Him at the center, we can find clarity, purpose, and peace.
17. “The Lord doesn’t care at all if we spend our days working in marble halls or stable stalls. He knows where we are, no matter how humble our circumstances.”
Hunter reminds us that our worth is not measured by our worldly possessions or status but by our character and our efforts to follow God’s commandments. He values our hearts and our intentions.
18. “The Lord’s way is not hard. Life is hard, not the gospel.”
This quote offers a refreshing perspective on the challenges we face in life. Hunter reassures us that while life may be difficult at times, the gospel provides us with the strength and guidance to navigate through these trials.
19. “We can choose to be grateful, no matter what.”
Hunter reminds us of the power of gratitude and encourages us to cultivate a grateful heart. By focusing on the blessings in our lives, we can find joy and contentment even in the midst of adversity.
20. “There is no substitute for hard work.”
This quote emphasizes the importance of diligence and perseverance in achieving our goals. Hunter reminds us that true success comes from putting in the effort and dedicating ourselves wholeheartedly to our endeavors.
21. “Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval.”
Hunter encourages us to stand firm in our beliefs and principles, even in the face of opposition. He reminds us that by exhibiting courage and staying true to our values, we can find favor in the eyes of God.
22. “Every person is a child of God, worth of our love and respect.”
This quote serves as a reminder that each individual, regardless of their background or circumstances, is of infinite worth. It encourages us to treat others with kindness, empathy, and respect.
23. “In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance.”
Hunter reminds us of the importance of not only seeking help through prayer but also actively striving to answer the prayers of others. By extending a helping hand and being a source of comfort to those in need, we can find true fulfillment and happiness.
Q: Who was Howard W. Hunter?
A: Howard W. Hunter was the 14th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving from 1994 until his death in 1995. He was known for his wisdom, humility, and dedication to serving others.
Q: What were Howard W. Hunter’s teachings focused on?
A: Howard W. Hunter’s teachings focused on the importance of faith in Jesus Christ, the significance of family and marriage, the power of love and service, and the need for personal integrity and righteousness.
Q: How can Howard W. Hunter’s quotes be applied to everyday life?
A: Howard W. Hunter’s quotes can be applied to everyday life by reminding us of the importance of faith, love, service, and personal growth. They offer guidance and inspiration for navigating through life’s challenges and finding joy and purpose in our actions.
Q: Where can I find more quotes by Howard W. Hunter?
A: More quotes by Howard W. Hunter can be found in his speeches, books, and various online resources. Additionally, his teachings are often quoted and referenced in talks and publications by other leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.